ddd

Re: ddd 3.x* Compilation problems with gcc 3*

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: Re: ddd 3.x* Compilation problems with gcc 3*
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 01:20:59 -0500

Just compared the changes you report with ones that I just made to get
DDD to work bash debugging. From the information you give, I now
understand better and precisly the problems are going on. (and I
confess that some of your workarounds are better than mine).

A complete patched source can be found here:
under "ddd-for-bash".

So based on your work, further investigation reveals this.

1. ios::iostate. There is a configure a test for the presence of
   this. However the test is returning negative because g++ now
   warns that this include is deprecated (and gcc is passed
   -Werror).One possibility I experimented with is to change that to
   -Werror -Wno-deprecated. If this is done (or -Werror removed), then
   HAVE_IOSTATE will be set correctly automatically. It however may
   cause other problems.

2. Perhaps what's going on here is that Motif defines names in
   incompatible way with Athena various names. DDD says it supports
   just Athena widgets, but I'd imagine that you can't support both
   simultaneously, nor do I think it makes sense to do so. So probably
   when Motif is enabled the configuration should disable Athena.

3. I believe someone else posted a query to this problem back in March:
   http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/ddd/2002-March/001657.html

   The suggestion there was to move the #include <fstream.h>
   line in logplayer.C up to before the various #include "localheader" lines.

   The local include "streampos.h" I think checks to see if something perhaps
   from <fstream.h> has been included, so moving the order around is probably
   preferable to removing a line.