ddd

RE: DDD startup errors (when launchind perl inferior debugger)

From: ag
Subject: RE: DDD startup errors (when launchind perl inferior debugger)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:41:12 SAST

> Andrew,
> My problems stem from running DDD 3.3.9 against both 5.8 and 5.6 of
> Perl.
>
> DDD seems to be ok with 5.8, but as you say, changes to the command set
> occurred and as such DDD 3.3.9 is not backward compatible (with Perl
> 5.6).
>
> Do you plan to modify DDD to check the version of Perl and assign the
> appropriate command set?

I'm not that keen to do this.  An easier approach is to do what the
NEWS file says:

- The perl version supported by DDD is now 5.8.x.  The perl debugger
  changed between perl 5.6.x and perl 5.8.0, which made this update necessary.
  This change is not backwards-compatible.  If it is not possible to upgrade
  your perl version to 5.8.x or newer, then you can simply install the file
  "perl5db.pl" from a recent perl distribution into your old perl tree.

So I'd recommend replacing your perl5db file if you aren't able to
ugrade your perl installation.

Andrew.