[Demexp-dev] [Sylvain Le Gall] Re: Would it be possible to simplify docu

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] [Sylvain Le Gall] Re: Would it be possible to simplify documentation of ocaml-gettext?
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:34:35 +0100

The answer of Sylvain to my questions.

I'll try to use ocaml-gettext with --disable-doc.

d.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Would it be possible to simplify documentation of ocaml-gettext? Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:26:53 +0100 User-agent: Mutt/1.5.11
Hello,

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 04:43:41PM +0100, David MENTRE wrote:
> Hello Sylvain,
>
> In our demexp software, we are considering using ocaml-gettext for
> handling translations of both our GTK2 client and WDialkog's web
> interface (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14318180).
> Frédéric Lehobey has already installed it on his machine but it
> appears to be quite complicated to setup:
>
> http://www.demexp.org/en/doku.php?id=i18n:internationalisation_and_localisation#more_about_ocaml-gettext

Indeed, i agree it is a bit complicated.

> It seems that a great deal of complexity comes from the documentation
> system. It adds a lot of dependencies. Would you consider simplify it
> using more standard ocaml tools like ocamldoc? Would you accept
> patches to this aim?

Well, you can -- at least --, disable the documentation generation with
"./configure --disable-doc". You will find the compiled documentation on
my website
http://www.gallu.homelinux.org/ocaml-gettext-documentation.html.

For you information, i use ocamldoc, to build the API documentation. I
use docbook and fop for the reference manual.

> Beyond being a burden to programmers like me when installing the tool,
> it becomes a nightmare for distribution packagers to package all
> dependencies.

Well, in fact, i am also a debian packager, and the dependencies are
almost all in section main of the debian archives.... Also for your
information, there is a debian package for installing ocaml-gettext.

If you don't use debian, there is a GODI package also (i am not sure it
is working perfectly, but i trust Gerd).

Concerning gettext et al, i must inform you that ocaml-ast-analyze, one
of the dependency of ocaml-gettext doesn't compile with ocaml 3.09.0.
There is a patch -- which works -- but i don't have made an official
release for now. I must also inform you that camomile has a problem when
compiling on ocaml 3.09.0. You can still use gettext-stub. In fact,
there is also a nasty bug with camomile, because it doesn't recognize
the encoding ISO8859-1 (just a matter of space, it recognizes
ISO-8859-1).

If you need to compile with ocaml 3.09.0, drop me an email, i will give
you the tarball of ocaml-ast-analyze.

Anyway, any patches are welcome. And you can send me bug reports if you
find some (i don't doubt there is a lot lying around). For examples, you
can add a switch to disable only reference manual (--disable-docbook).
Maybe i can do it myself, but for now, i am pretty busy
:-(

Thanks for considering ocaml-gettext, don't hesitate to contact me again
if you need some help...

Kind regard
Sylvain Le Gall

ps: i recommend you to take a look at
http://www.gallu.homelinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ocaml-dbug/trunk/ocaml-dbug/oCamlDbugGettext.ml?rev=996&view=autoand
http://www.gallu.homelinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ocaml-dbug/trunk/ocaml-dbug/Makefile?rev=999&view=auto
they are good examples to build program which can be build with
--disable-nls... They also will be included in the next ocaml-gettext
release.

--- End Message ---

--
 address@hidden