[Demexp-dev] Re: Next SCM for > 0.8 releases

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: Next SCM for > 0.8 releases
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:43:18 +0100

Hi Frédéric,

2006/1/26, Frederic Lehobey <address@hidden>:
> > What is the current version of SVK in sid? 1.05? 1.06? (I can't check
>
> 1.06 (PTS is not down though):
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/svk.html

Ok, I did not thought about it. Thanks.

> I tried (with all the necessary dependencies)

Thank you.

>  and the tests fail in the following way.  If you have any clue...

Neither have I. One would need to dig into the failing tests to see
exactly what is going wrong. Maybe I'll do that, but probably from
sources.

> On the topic, personally, I favour mercurial

Any argument in favor of Mercurial?

Regarding svk, the big plus is that it is compatible with Subversion
(both for import and export). So we could also have a standard
centralized repository for the occasional demexp developer. And if svk
does not work, we can fall back to svn. The minus side is that svk is
written in Perl, not very well know as good language for software
engineering (but with some efforts, you can write clean Perl and the
use of non regression tests shows that svk's developers care about
those issues). Of course, If I'm unable to have svk on my machine,
that would be a big downside for svk. ;-)

> (and tailor to move from one SCM to an other).

I'll probably won't move the old Arch log into the new SCM: who needs
it except for historical purpose?

Best wishes,
d.