Re: [Demexp-dev] Depencies of ocaml-gettext and other problems

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Depencies of ocaml-gettext and other problems
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:56:00 +0200

Hello Christophe,

GISQUET Christophe <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) camomile, if I remember well, uses an option containing "pack", which
> is not supported by 3.08 versions, incidentally the one packaged for
> cygwin. In addition, one may end up being gratified with "'stuff1' and
> 'stuff2' disagree on 'some' interface", which is a another convoluted
> way of giving the convoluted explanation "incompatible ABIs
> somewhere". This means that for all packages having this problem, one
> must rebuild them with the 3.09 version one would have recompiled. That
> hurts, doctor.

A usual big issue with OCaml: if you change your OCaml compiler, you
need to recompile *all* your libraries.

As I said to you privately, I'm using OCaml 3.08.3 with Camomile
0.6.2. I'll add a not about this in the README.

> 1') Funny thing (and of no use to this list), some packages have:
> - a build-dir option specifying where *all* files will be put
> - make performs the bytecode build/native build/installation in one step
> into the given folder
> - make clean wipes this directory...
> So, if, for some reason, like incompatible APIs, you think of doing a
> make clean, don't complain to the doctor that specifying $HOME or the
> world-writable /usr hurts.

You should fill a bug report to the package author, shouldn't you?

> 2) Most links from the configure are broken
> For instance links starting with http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/gildor
> are now hosted at http://www.gallu.homelinux.org/projects.html

Ok, I fixed broken links.

> Last but not least, cameleon is an huge unneeded chunk. Again some time
> taken to find the original config_file 0.1 version.

Well, for this one, the proposed link
(http://download.gna.org/cameleon/) is still correct.

>  > the DemexpGettext module does let dir = None (equivalent to
>  > $prefix/share/locale ?) which I suspect won't work under windows
> 3) locale directory
> I suggest having demexpGettext.ml.nw to have something like:
>        let dir          =
>          if Sys.os_type <> "Win32" then None
>          else Some "locale"
> I'm not even sure it actually works, but at least someone knowledgeable
> can fix that. I suspect None to be resolved as $prefix/share/locale,
> which won't work under win32. My win32 proposal is also unsatisfying
> because this relative path requires that demexp be launched from its
> installation folder (win32 shortcuts do support that).

I currently don't understand what your are proposing and what is really
the issue. Give me some time.

>  > I couldn't understand how to simply build the .mo files
> 4) Building .mo files
> What's the proper target to generate them when only building the
> client?

 To build only the .mo file:
   make po/fr.mo

> In addition, an ocaml-gettext limitation requires that those files are
> filtered. perl is used; couldn't the lighter, installed by default, sed
> do the job?

Where is Perl used? Could you give me the offending command and its
ouput. (a moment later) Ok, found it (in
po/fix-po-comments-for-ocaml-gettext). Well, I'm not that proficient in
sed. Could you provide a patch? If not, I'll try to see what I can do.

Best wishes and thank you for your hard work,
d.
--
GPG/PGP key: A3AD7A2A David MENTRE <address@hidden>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A