Re: [Denemo-devel] libDenemo

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] libDenemo
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:56:47 -0600

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 21:51 +0100, ben wrote:
> Nils Gey a écrit :
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I just remembered a talk from a while back about the GUI of Denemo and
> > different interfaces. Just now I had a talk in #denemo about Denemo on
> > MacOS which needs X11 and is clumsy. I rememberd that Ardour tried to get
> > rid of X11 in MacOS, too. And there was this small discussion about Denemo
> > on a NintendoDS, as Notepad for Notation.
> >
> > Many (open source) apps are diveded in frontend and backend. Of course for
> > a notation-editor this makes no primary sense because having a GUI is a
> > central point. But even here it would have some benefits like having
> > special GUIs for different purposes which are more then just command-sets.
> >
> > Linuxsampler for example has a QT and a JAVA GUI, Ardour has a
> > stripped-down GUI for educational use.
> >
> > Even on a command line you could do batch-conversion or other Denemo-tasks
> > which don't need a GUI.
> >
> > To come to the core of this:
> >
> > Do you think it would be a benefit to change Denemo to a Backend/Frontend
> > architecture?
> >
> > Nils
>
> definitely yes!
> that could be separated into:
> - libdenemo: shared object for non-ui stuff
> - libdenemo-ui: for the score widget
> - denemo[-gtk]: the acutal program that would depend on the 2 libs.

I like the idea but I don't know about how to go about doing it. My
iphone does not have gtk but it does have gcc and glib. I also have long
commutes to work where it is often too crowded on the train to take out
my laptop. I doubt I would ever have time to create a iphone interface
because my iphone will be running android before I have time I am
guessing.

Jeremiah