Re: [Denemo-devel] GSoC proposal to improve MIDI and audio capabilities

From: Dominic Sacré
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] GSoC proposal to improve MIDI and audio capabilities
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:07:24 +0200

Hi Richard,

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> <das> well, i don't think my proposal would actually remove existing
> features. at most it would (perhaps temporarily) disable some which are
> more or less broken already
>
> Can you tell me which features you find are "more or less broken"? I
> have a special -D compile option to get Denemo working on my Debian
> Lenny installation, and I noticed the Denemo package that shipped with
> Debian Sid gave no output at all.
> I want to be sure that you are targetting a working version of Denemo in
> your proposal.

I'm doing all my testing with a recent version from Git.
I didn't mean to imply that Denemo is full of broken features, just
that my proposal is mainly about restructuring and cleanup, not about
removing things.

> (There *are* broken features in Denemo - e.g. no-one has
> used C-sound in a decade I suspect, but things often appear broken
> because of poor documentation or o/s variations).

Yes, Csound playback is actually the best example for this. I don't
know if it's broken per se, but it seems undocumented, unmaintained,
and possibly unused. In fact I couldn't find out how to activate it in
the GUI, or from where the Csound playback code is called.

It has also been suggested that audio input is only semi-usable and
should not be a high priority. I'm not so sure about that, and would
rather fix it than remove it, as it's a pretty nifty feature.
Incidentally, I haven't been able to test it yet. At the moment all my
usable hardware audio inputs are JACK-only (firewire), and audio input
in Denemo only works with PortAudio. Did I mention I was planning to
fix that? ;)

Dominic