[Denemo-devel] Demo of keyboard entry (was Re: Crash on Windows (SHOWSTO

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Demo of keyboard entry (was Re: Crash on Windows (SHOWSTOPPER))
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 14:48:49 +0100

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 13:56 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > BTW Jeremiah - what were the key presses you were using to input the
> > notes on your Demo video?
>
> I used A-g for the note entry, shift 0-4 for changing rhythm to be
> entered, tab to toggle on/off triplet, and ,' for octave shifting the
> notes.

Jeremiah - this comment from you from a while back - I didn't realize
that the shift 0-4 you refer to are not default key short cuts (??? that
is as I have just tested, shift-0,1... edits the duration without
changing the prevailing duration; if this is not true for you without
setting up your own short cuts please say).

Looking at this, it would seem sensible to make shift-0,1... edit AND
set the prevailing duration, then you could use the entry method you
employed only setting the duration one step later. (That is, after you
enter a note name, if the duration is wrong you use the Shift-n command
which corrects it and subsequent note names put notes in using the new
duration). I am not sure what is more intuitive.

I am guessing that you had the shift-0, 1 ... short cuts re-assigned to
the commands Set0, Set1 ... rather than the default Change0, Change1 ...
is that right? Would that entry method work even better by re-assigning
short cuts 0, 1, ... to Set0, Set1 ...? That is, not require the Shift?

Do you ever use this note-entry method? Does anyone listening use
pc-keyboard entry - can you say what your preferred method is?
I realize it depends how familiar you are with the clef you are
transcribing from and other factors...