Re: [Denemo-devel] Demo of keyboard entry (was Re: Crash on Windows (SHO

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Demo of keyboard entry (was Re: Crash on Windows (SHOWSTOPPER))
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 13:30:05 -0500

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 02:48:49PM +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 13:56 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > > BTW Jeremiah - what were the key presses you were using to input the
> > > notes on your Demo video?
> >
> > I used A-g for the note entry, shift 0-4 for changing rhythm to be
> > entered, tab to toggle on/off triplet, and ,' for octave shifting the
> > notes.
>
> Jeremiah - this comment from you from a while back - I didn't realize
> that the shift 0-4 you refer to are not default key short cuts (??? that
> is as I have just tested, shift-0,1... edits the duration without
> changing the prevailing duration; if this is not true for you without
> setting up your own short cuts please say).

Yes. I am just using the default bindings. Shift-0,1 does not change the
prevailing duration only the current notes duration.

> Looking at this, it would seem sensible to make shift-0,1... edit AND
> set the prevailing duration, then you could use the entry method you
> employed only setting the duration one step later. (That is, after you
> enter a note name, if the duration is wrong you use the Shift-n command
> which corrects it and subsequent note names put notes in using the new
> duration). I am not sure what is more intuitive.

Yes. This seems like a better idea.

> I am guessing that you had the shift-0, 1 ... short cuts re-assigned to
> the commands Set0, Set1 ... rather than the default Change0, Change1 ...
> is that right?

I was hitting 1,2,3etc .. to change default. Then I would hit backspace to
delete it if it is the wrong note. I have not taken the time to find a faster
way.

>Would that entry method work even better by re-assigning
> short cuts 0, 1, ... to Set0, Set1 ...? That is, not require the Shift?

Yes. I think we had this this conversation once before. The conclusion was that
it interferes with midi note entry.

> Do you ever use this note-entry method?

No but I should.

Jeremiah