Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI in does not work

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI in does not work
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 13:48:20 +0000

On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 10:49 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Debian testing, MIDI in does not work anymore. Although my USB MIDI
> interface is selected in the preferences dialog (with the portmidi
> backend) as it always was, and Input is set to Midi in, nothing happens
> when I play notes on the piano.
Have you tried it twice? On my machine whenever I build a new version it
fails to find the audio backend and falls back to dummy. When I stop and
re-run denemo it works. (Some Alsa initialization?). This problem is
audio playback, not sure about MIDI in for that case - do you still have
playback working?
>  Do you have a hint how to debug? Can
> this be related to updating the libaubio version?

I don't think the libaubio version can be involved. No routines from
libaubio are invoked until you click Input->Audio Input

>  Note that on Debian
> stable, MIDI in works perfectly as ever with the same Denemo version
> (compiled on that installation), the same hardware and the same settings.
that is, the same Denemo source code. The suspicion must be that it is a
different version of the portmidi library (I don't know what else might
be involved in getting MIDI in, perhaps ALSA is involved too?)

Richard