Re: [Denemo-devel] building on an old system again - error

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] building on an old system again - error
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 20:25:47 +0100

On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 10:30 -0400, Bric wrote:
> On 06/10/2014 07:30 AM, Richard Shann wrote:

> >> And as far as the downloadable binaries, version 1.1.2 and 1.1.4
> >> segfault when launched.
> > Is it a 32-bit or 64-bit system?
>
> 32-bit
Are you sure you are launching it correctly? - you launch it with some
shell script called launch denemo or some such...

> >> But I do wonder, in my API developer ignorance:  could the binaries be
> >> made compatible here if, for instance, some functions where statically
> >> linked/compiled, as opposed to dynamically?
> > essentially it is as if they were linked statically. That is to say,
> > they include their own versions of glib and so on, rather than trying to
> > use unknown system ones.
>
> I don't understand - are you saying these binaries are already
> statically compiled?   Or are you saying yes to the idea that they can
> be made more so? That one could compile executables of the latest
> versions that would run on old systems, because the newer functions
> would be internally contained?

I think it is a dynamically linked library, complete with the libraries
to link to at run time and a shell script to launch it with the
environment set to pick up the correct set of libraries, not the system
ones.