Re: [dev-serveez] experience with "icecast" server

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] experience with "icecast" server
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 16:11:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob wrote:

hello again!

> > Also I do not know whether an mp3 streamer
> > like icecast is meant to touch a given mp3 file or not.

> i am almost sure about that. the id3 tag is not part of the mpg stream. it
> has to remove, i'd say. but one could check the icecast spec/source :-)

i found evidince of that in the libshout documentation. libshout is a
library that prepares data and stuffs it into an icecast server. the
icecast server performs the broadcasting [only].

here is the doc entry point:

and here is a function that does what serveez is missing:
note the comment on id3 tags.

so... it's not that easy at all. we could link against libshout or copy
code from them to build up good audio streams but i am not sure if that is
worth the effort. eventually serveez would only replace the networking
core of icecast...

    /   /  __/    __/   / __/  / _\/     Contact : address@hidden
  /________/___/\._\._____/_____/\       3.141592653589793238462643383
  \._______\.__\/__/\.____\.____\/       27950288419716939937510582097