dev-serveez

Re: [dev-serveez] experience with "icecast" server

From: stefan
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] experience with "icecast" server
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:48:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob wrote:

> hi!

Hello!

> i am running that server all day with mixed success: xmms does not play
> anything but segfaults. that's probably not serveez' fault.
>
> mpg123 plays nicely... but:
> ---
> Directory: http://localhost:8000/
> Playing MPEG stream from  ...
> MPEG 1.0 layer III, 128 kbit/s, 44100 Hz stereo
> Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x4b800000 at offset 0xfffffffb.
> Skipped 409 bytes in input.
> Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x5441476d at offset 0xfffffffb.
> Skipped ID3 Tag!
> Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x79207363 at offset 0xfffffffb.
> Skipped 280 bytes in input.
> ---
> between each file it has to skip the id3 tag and/or some other garbage i
> dont know the source of. this works most of the time but sometimes it
> fails to revover:
> ---
> Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x6f747573 at offset 0xfffffffb.
> Skipped 5988866 bytes in input.
> big_values too large!
> Blocktype == 0 and window-switching == 1 not allowed.
> ---
> ...and terminates.

With the current CVS I was reproducing the above test with all kinds of
MP3's (mainly Raimunds Beasty Boys collection) for several hours and it
did not get any of the above errors nor any other.  I freshly compiled and
installed 'mpg123 Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15)'.  I started it like:

        $ mpg123 -v -v -v -v -v -v -v -v -v http://localhost:8000

At least the 'Skipped ID3 Tag!' error should now be fixed since I added
some code to the icecast server which handles ID3v1 tags at the end of
regular mp3 files.

The 'Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x6f747573 at offset 0xfffffffb.' error
sounds strange because it suggest that mpg123 seeks backward (offset
0xfffffffb) in the mp3 stream.  Comments on this?

Raimund:  Could you please retry the current CVS version for the test and
tell how it is working now?

Thanks in advance,
        address@hidden