Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] amateur "exemption"

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] amateur "exemption"
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:53:17 -0800

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:35:21PM -0500, ed wrote:
> interestingly, government users are Winradio's biggest customers.  they use
> proprietary software, of course.
>
> here's another interesting piece of hardware and software that qualifies
> the possessor as a violator.  doubtful this swiss company could do much
> business in the usa with non-govt customers.  notice their source code is
> for sale..."to official government bodies only."
> http://www.shoc.ch/HTML/wavecom.htm
>
> -ed

Thanks for the link.  I wasn't familiar with them.

Looks like they've got a good selection of decoders, but their
hardware is actually fairly lame.  They can only deal with up to
400kHz bandwidth signals.  Of course, it's nice that they've got the
final downconversion on their board.  I suspect that the board was
designed a while ago, otherwise why would they be bragging about 200
MIPS worth of fixed point DSP, when todays PCs will do 10 times that
and do it in floating point.  Also, the board costs about $5000 US.
The source code, not available to civilians, is 174,000 CHF == $122,000

Of course, I can't live without "Bagdad80 Arabic, 5 bit"...

Eric