Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Parallel Processing

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Parallel Processing
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:38:29 -0800

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 12:39:59PM +0100, Stephane Fillod wrote:
> As of today, GNU Radio is not taking advantage of MP (but will in the future).
> However, GNU Radio processing + xine MPEG processing can each one run on
> a different processor. So the dual processors will be helpful.
>
> This brings up a question to GNU Radio/pspectra experts.
> Talking about real-time, I'm wondering how GNU radio is RT aware.
> I'm not talking here about hard-"ish" real-time, which could be easily
> covered with LXRT RTAI, I'm talking about soft real-time as encountered
> in multimedia applications.
> For instance, is GNU Radio smart enough to discard sample/buffers
> if they're getting too old?

There's nothing stopping anyone from doing that, though none of the
code currrently does.  What samples at what stage in the pipeline it's safe to
discard is an application issue.  GNU Radio as infrastructure doesn't
say anything about it.  You can skip samples, effectively dropping
them.  You do this by overriding the the forecast method.

Eric