Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp dbsrx to use in seti and radioastronomy

From: Loftin, Ben B.
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp dbsrx to use in seti and radioastronomy
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:28:26 -0500

Small world!  I’m working on my masters at the Colorado Springs campus in remote sensing.  Although, I’m waiting to see how the Near Space agreement works out with the Air Force, the bistatic radar seems like a good second choice (or combo) for an area of research.  I do work in GPS for General Dynamics, so a GPS + remote sensing topic makes a lot of sense.

Does it show real promise as a passive radar for ground targets or is it like wow we can pick up a Carrier in the ocean?

What type of altitude does the airborne receiver need to operate at?  I would assume some sort of error correlation with altitude, i.e. not feasible for a near space balloon.  Thanks for the info.

Are you guys presenting anything at the Sept. ION?

Ben

We have been doing bistatic radar (technical term for passive radar) using GPS signals.  There are of course other signals out there that are useful for bistatic radar, and that is my primary reason for interest in gnuradio modules and the USRP/dbsrx.  Our bistatic radar work is for remote sensing (ocean surface reflections -> roughness/winds, soil reflections -> reflectivity and soil moisture, sea ice, etc.).  We can even see ground targets that reflect GPS signals to an airborne receiver.  I'll be looking at the latest issue of IEEE for the Passive Radar papers (thanks!).

Some results/links are at http://ccar.colorado.edu/dmr.  The "dmr"

stands for "delay mapping receiver."  You can also see other work presented at GNSSR-05 (http://www.gnssr-05.com/).

Dallas