Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Status of BTTV/CX88 capture

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Status of BTTV/CX88 capture
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:26:39 +0200

Hi John,
Yes I got your hint already.

John Gilmore wrote:
I think I am going to look for a nice cx2388x
capture card.

Look at the PCI card by pchdtv.com.  They use the cx23883, plus a canned TV
tuner by Thomson.  All the drivers are open source.  It's designed to be
an open source compatible HDTV and SDTV interface card.
I have just today been looking at it.
Hoped they had the hardware design online but couldn't find it(yet).

I have just contacted the technical guy you pointed out to ask about the
details of the design and the driver.

They use a chip to do the atsc decoding.
With a little hardware mod it should be possible to attach the IF output of the
tuner to the analog ADC input of the cx2388x.
(Which is now connected to the atsc decoder chip).

Maybe it is even possible to reprogram the atsc chip to act as just an ADC (and
passthrough the undecoded data)
That all depends on the chip capabilities and the datasheets available.

I hope it is indeed possible to use these boards for gnuradio because they did
a good job of creating an open HDTV receiver.
Too bad we can't use them in europe (digital TV here is DVB in stead of atsc
and 8Mhz channels in stead of 6 Mhz)
If we hack them to be usable for gnuradio it might still be possible (with an
8Mhz tuner)

I have five of these cards lying around, so if you write code that
makes them useful for GNU Radio, I can provide cards to Eric & Matt...
That's cool.

greetings,
Martin