Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can I do this?

From: mgray
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can I do this?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:20:20 -0700 (MST)

Another trick to get higher frequencies is to use an image that is
produced the DAC.  If you program the DAC to 29.3 MHz, you'll also get RF
at the SampleRate +/- DAC Freq.  So you'll get a signal at 128 - 29.3 and
128 + 29.3.  So in this case 98.7 and 157.3. The signal levels will be
lower, but with the proper bandpass filter and amplifier chain, you can
generate a complete signal.

I don't recall if there is a low pass filter on the DAC channel.  If there
is, you'll need to remove the filter to get the images.  With a short
piece of wire stuffed in the SMA connector, you could broadcast across the
room to an FM receiver.

For an example of the band pass filters/RF chain, view:

http://www.kd7lmo.net/picobeacon_hardware.html

This is setup for operation in the UHF band at 445 MHz.