Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files

From: Josh Jennings
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:52:50 +0200

Hi Michael,
Having thought about this a little more, I don't think this problem is
limited to the osx-audio.
I have tried this also on my osx:
1) convert a complex dat file to a num file for gnuplot
2) plot the num file in gnuplot
On os x I get zeros for all the converted points from the dat file,
therefore something seems corrupted.
When I do the same on my linux, I get a good set of converted complex
points in my num file and it shows up correctly in gnuplot.

Here is a list of the files and commands I use for listening to audio
and converting the dat file:

dat file:
http://www.kd7lmo.net/gnuradio/hf_10000khz_256_complex.dat.bz2
audio from dat file:
http://www.kd7lmo.net/gnuradio/am_rcv.py

This example is taken directly from www.kd7lmo.net to listen to this file:
./am_rcv.py hf_10000khz_256_complex.dat -25
On linux I get a guy talking. On os x comes nothing.

I converted the dat to a complex num file for gnuplot. I got the c
file from here:
http://webpages.charter.net/cswiger/plotting.html
Here is a link to the c file:
http://webpages.charter.net/cswiger/raw2num_fc.c

Here is the commands which I used to make a num file for gnuplot:
./raw2num_fc hf_10000khz_256_complex.dat hf_10000khz.num 0 65536

Then in gnuplot I do:
set xrange[0:500]
gnuplot>plot "hf_10000khz.num" smooth frequency

On linux I get a good looking plot. On os x, everything is zeros.

To test this further on os x, I created a dat file called
dial_tone.dat by using this:
http://webpages.charter.net/cswiger/dial_tone_2.py
and converted it like above:
./raw2num_f dial_tone.dat dial_tone.num 0 65536
and in gnuplot did:
gnuplot>plot "dial_tone.num"
This time on os x, it shows up CORRECTLY (as well as on linux).

This is as far as I have gotten, but it makes me think that the dat
files generated from the usrp somehow are not working on os x, whereas
the ones generated directly from gunradio seem to work as expected
(plotting as well as audio).

Looking at the capture py script from www.kd7lmo.net, which was used
to make the dat files there, I could not see anything significantly
strange to a normal gr.file_sink:
http://www.kd7lmo.net/gnuradio/capture_to_file.py

I don't have an usrp, so I can't test this fully out.

I will look further into though as best I can.

Greeting,
Josh