[Discuss-gnuradio] I&Q on same or separate channels?

From: George Nychis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] I&Q on same or separate channels?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:35:51 -0500

Hi all,

For the in-band code, I'm noticing that it seems like the FPGA is packing two I's or two Q's, and not an I and a Q. If you take a look at the following plot of a 10MHz sine wave, you will see what I mean. The left plot is using the legacy receiver, the right side is using an in-band receiver:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/sines.png

This boils down to the following code:
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/branches/features/inband-usb/usrp/fpga/inband_lib/rx_buffer_inband.v

I'm guessing that Thibaud's original assumption was that I and Q are packed in a single channel to be read from. With a single data channel, the code will only read from channel 0. Is this incorrect? If so, this explains the behavior we're seeing.

If I and Q are on separate channels, are they synchronized?

- George