Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC bug in Variable Sink

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC bug in Variable Sink
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:12:11 -0400

Ed Criscuolo wrote:
Forgot to mention I'm using GRC 0.69 and GnuRadio 3.1.1

@(^.^)@  Ed

Ed Criscuolo wrote:
Josh,

  I believe I've uncovered a bug in the Variable Sink block.
It seems to work fine when the input type is "float",
but fails to function correctly when the input type is
either "int" or "short".  The flowgraph continues to
run, but the variable is either set to zero of does
not change at all.

Ed,

Its seems that the variable sink casts the number to a float: numpy.fromstring (s, numpy.float32) regardless of the input type. I admit that I didnt know 100% what i was doing when I made this variable sink...

So, only use the variable sink as a float input type, and place a short to float converter between the udp sink and the variable sink. (there is currently no int to float converter in gnuradio) I hope that works!

Since it seems to be useful, I will make a shiny new variable sink in the grc trunk. BTW, there is a converter script now for older flow graphs if you are willing to try it out.

-Josh

I'm trying to use it to add a "command port" to a
flowgraph that receives a single "int" or "short"
from an external application (via a UDP Source block),
and uses it to tune a doppler correction.