Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] boost-1.37.0 dependency in 3.2.2 debian packages

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] boost-1.37.0 dependency in 3.2.2 debian packages
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:57:39 -0800

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 06:03, Alexander Chemeris
<address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) What is the reason you don't follow usual Debian/Ubuntu layout
> where you use distribution versions under dists/ instead of
> package versions? Then it's possible to build for multiple distributions.

It was mostly expedient at the time deb files were originally created.
 The original plan was for something temporary until we could get the
packages into Debian and/or Ubuntu official repositories.  While it
took longer than expected, 3.2.2 is in Debian unstable ("sid") and
will soon get promoted to Debian testing ("squeeze").  Bdale Garbee is
the official package maintainer and he and I have been working
together to get things done.  Hopefully Ubuntu will pick up 3.2.2 in
10.04 to replace the ancient 3.0.2 they have or had in their repo.

There still remains the hosting for the packages generated from our
current development.  I plan (someday, grrr) to start using a more
automated system of uploading the packages to gnuradio.org, and then I
can shift to a more typical repository layout.  Also, there are subtle
differences between debs for Debian vs. Ubuntu, and we haven't planned
how to accommodate both in a single build infrastructure.

> 2) Also, why don't you use Launchpad for hosting? It will build
> automatically for multiple distro versions.

I've never really considered this; I'll look into it.

> 3) Are there plans to continue provide nightly builds for git versions?

The only thing planned right now are periodic tarball generation at
points in development that relatively stable, such as the 3.3git-473
and 3.3git-594 tarballs.

Johnathan