Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnu Radio built on Sheeva Plug

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnu Radio built on Sheeva Plug
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:38:27 -0400

> Rafael Diniz wrote:
>
>> Let us know what you could do using the sheeva plug!
>>

> It's probably one of the smallest devices with the lowest power
> consumption able to run Ubuntu and featuring USB2.0 and a Gigabit NIC,
> the minimum requirements to run GNU Radio with USRP1/2. See
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug
>
> for details.
>
> I can give it a shot if you want... and compare a quadcore i7 with the
> SheevaPlug sampling DVB-T signals...
>
> Alex

Guaranteed that the Sheeva Plug will some out *very poorly* against a
Quad i7.  The thing has
  no built-in floating point, and runs at only 1.2GHz.

I got USRP support working, and audio-via-USB seems to mostly work,
except that recording doesn't
  appear to be working yet, but the dial_tone.py example now runs.

I dont' currently have a USRP/USRP2 in my posession (have to hike out to
the SBRAC dish to get mine),
  so I can't test the USRP support.

But it's looking promising for low-bandwidth work anyway.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator