[Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio source patch to make it work with a current

From: Moeller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio source patch to make it work with a current GCC 4.5.0
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 14:46:21 +0200

 Hi all,

The gnuradio git-source (and also the  current 3.3.0 release)
is not compatible with a current GCC 4.5.0 compiler.

I changed the source to make it work, omitting the "usrp2::" prefix in 3 cases.
The diff patch to the current trunk is attached to this mail.
Maybe the developers understand this problem, I don't.
Possibly some faulty namespace classification (or even an gcc bug?).

Btw, why do free software developers spend more commenting
lines for the software license than for the code itself ?
It's really hard to understand the source. All I see is legal stuff,
but no comment on the top, what a module is really doing.
A few sentences on top of the source file would help a lot, e.g.
"this part is dealing with the raw socket communications,
it supports the module xyz with a higher level API". Something
like that. Most of the gnuradio source files have no comment
on the top what they are doing. First you have to read to code
to make a guess what's happening there.

For my own projekts I use doxygen and on top of every
cpp or header file I'm commenting on the meaning of this part of
source code. This is just for myself. It would be even more
important if other people should be able to read and understand the source.
Especially for OpenSource with many developers on a single source.
This little time savings in the first moment result in a lot of time wasted
when other people trying to understand the source.

Maybe the gnuradio developers should have a look at the ITPP
sources (itpp.sourceforge.net). They are using doxygen a lot.
I like this doxygen system, for generating HTML and LaTeX
source documentation automatically. It can even generate a good-looking
handbook, if some more examples, text, images and formulas are inserted.
This takes not much time when writing the source, less than writing
a full documentation document later.

Moeller