Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] help : how long usrp can run continously in norma

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] help : how long usrp can run continously in normal environment.
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 19:32:30 -0700

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 01:32:01PM -0400, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
> On 09/09/2010 11:42 AM, Anil Sharma wrote:
> >Hi everyone,
> >   I want to test something with  usrp running continously under
> >normal environment.
> >Can someone tell me the real data of how long usrp is capable of
> >running continously.
> >Thanks.

> Three years ago, I used to run my USRP1-based radio astronomy
> software for months at a time
>   with no issue.
>
> In the last year or so, I've been unable to maintain those kinds of
> uptimes with either USRP1 or
>   USRP2, which I ascribe to fundamental changes in Gnu Radio, but I
> haven't been able to put
>   my finger on exactly which flow-graphs will "wedge" after a few
> days, and which ones will
>   keep going and going.  I have one flow-graph that uses the USRP2
> at low bandwidths (400Ksps
>   or so) that seems to be able to run forever.  Another, similar
> flowgraph, will tend to "wedge"
>   after a few days.
>
> I also have a flow-graph that uses an ALSA source and sink, and it
> can only run for a few
>   days before "wedging".

Marcus,

It would be useful it you could provide a gdb stack trace of all
threads when you see the "wedged condition".

If it's a python program, run gdb against /usr/bin/python and use the
gdb attach command to attached to the wedged process.
Then issue

 thread apply all bt

to generate the stack traces and send them to me.

Eric