Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] config.guess and config.sub in git

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] config.guess and config.sub in git
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:23:47 -0800

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:23:38AM -0800, Philip Balister wrote:
> I'm building gnuradio from a git checkout using OE to setup the
> toolchains etc. Part of the build process is similar to running
> bootstrap, but with special autotools. Afterwards, git status
> reports change in config.guess and config.sub. My understanding is
> these are generated files and should not be in the repository.
>
> Can we delete these from git/next, or is there some reason they are there?
>
> #     modified:   config.guess
> #     modified:   config.sub
> #     modified:   usrp2/firmware/config.guess
> #     modified:   usrp2/firmware/config.sub
>
> Philip

Those files are not generated, but if they're not there, they are
copied from the local (potentially out of date) system.

What's in the repository are most likely more up-to-date than what's
on your local system.  You can check the date code at the top of each
file to check.

Mostly this matters when we build tarballs, since what's in the tree
is what goes into the tarball.  The reason we like the most
up-to-date, is that they support more system configurations.

You could make the problem "invisible" on your end by adding appropriate
entries to your own ~/.gitignore  :-)

Eric