[Discuss-gnuradio] need help implementing TX pattern on USRP2+WBX

From: Steve Mcmahon
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] need help implementing TX pattern on USRP2+WBX
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 00:00:37 -0800 (PST)

Hello:

I asked a similar question a couple of days ago, but I'm still struggling, so I
would be really thankful for any help I can get.

I have a USRP2 board and a WBX daughterboard running with GNU Radio 3.3.0 on
Linux.

I am trying to implement a scheme where time is divided into equal-size
intervals. There would be three types of intervals. For some intervals, I want
to transmit a sine tone for the entire interval. For other intervals, I want to
transmit silence for the entire interval (i.e., turn off the tone and transmit
all zeros). And then for other intervals, I want to transmit the tone, but in
an on-off pattern, cycled for five times within the interval (i.e., transmit
the tone within the interval but multiplied by a 50% duty cycle square wave
with 5 cycles within the time interval). The tone used in each interval could
be any one of a set of ten fixed tones (such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
kHz).

The user would define the interval duration on the command line (i.e., 500ms or
1s). Also, for each interval, the user would define on the command line the
interval type and which frequency of the set of frequencies to use. Also the
total number of intervals would be specified on the command line.

Here's a crude depiction of the three interval types,
shown back-to-back, not-to-scale, respectively:

sine  | 2 kHz on-for- |   off-for-    |             5 kHz                |
tone: |entire-interval|entire-interval|on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off|
time: 0               1               2                                  3

How could I implement this? I'm somewhat new to Python and GNU Radio, and I'm
getting nervous because I need to get this done, but I'm a little lost.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Steve McMahon