Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to decode the convolutional code in the GRC

From: Feng Andrew Ge
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to decode the convolutional code in the GRC
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 10:14:48 -0400

Achilleas,

I have looked at the gr-trellis code and my understanding is that the code is used mainly for simulation in GNU Radio (signals don't go over the air). I was thinking about integrating the code into the digital examples, e.g., transmit_path.py and receiver_path.py. However, I have two concerns: (a) its computational complexity might be too high at a high data rate, e.g., 500kb/s, therefore introducing big delays; (b) there is no synchronization for recognizing the start and end bits of encoded bit blocks. Further, I also want to introduce interleaver for handling burst errors.

To resolve the computational complexity, as alternative to trellis code, I am thinking about linear block code. I found your 2007 online discussion with Eric and Johnathan about using BCH code for the packet header (two lengths) --- unfortunately it seems that no following work happened after the discussion. Would you please give some comments about using BCH code in the digital examples? For example, what might be a good code, BCH(31, 16), BCH(127, 36), or extended Golay codes?

Further, do you have any thought about interleaver implementation together with a linear block code?

Finally, in the 2007 discussion between you and Eric, Eric preferred that the access code should not be encoded. Currently the access coded is recognized in the receiver_path.py by a correlator with a default threshold of 12 based on Hamming distance. Is this a good approach if we introduce coding for the packet header plus the payload with CRC?

Of course, any other comments/thought will be quite welcomed.

Regards,
Andrew