[Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: Introducing noise/ considerable BER

From: shantharam balasubramanian
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: Introducing noise/ considerable BER
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 23:12:13 -0400

Hello Tom, Marcus and Martin,

Thanks a lot for your replies. One of the objective of our experiment
is find to the capacity of a path, i.e, we want to transmit a random
binary sequence between two USRP nodes. We want to find the maximum
data transfer rate (in bit/sec) with a "small" bit error rate /
probability of error.
Tom said, "The way things are in our benchmark code, a single bit
error means that an entire packet is lost." Based on this statement, I
have the following questions:

1. From Tom's reply, it seems like the benchmark_Rx and benchmark_Tx
programs already have error correction coding blocks in themselves.
Therefore, it is hard for us to calculate the bit error rate and find
the capacity of the path. Is there any program in gnuradio repository
that does not employ error correction codes?

2. In our experiments, we have received packets that has some bit
error rate (e.g. 15% bit error rate, 20% bit error rate, etc.). If a
single bit error means that an entire packet is lost, do you know why
that phenomenon occurs? (i.e. some packets get lost but some other
packets have small erroneous bits)

Your feedback will be very appreciated.

Thanks