Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to write vector to a file

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to write vector to a file
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 00:47:44 -0500

Thanks Josh,

You got it right, self.u is USRP2. I am converting the stream which comes from self.u into vector by using the s2v (stream to vector) function. And now I want to capture the IQ data.

gr.file_sink() writes only streams into a file I guess, so I was looking for any other gnuradio class which can write vectors too into a file. Do you think that gr.file_sink() can do the same thing?

Also, When I use gr.file_sink(), the sensing does not automatically and I have to stop it manually(ctrl+z) after a while. I am wondering if there is any other way so that the usrp2 can sense a certain frequency band for a certain period and can switch to another frequency then. And one more thing, using gr,file_sink() and storing the raw complex data, I found that many data are giving 0 value. I think regardless of the frequency band, the raw data should contain some value, it might be very small but not zero. Do you any reason for that?

Thank you;
Not sure why you want the vector format. A vector in Gnu Radio is just a fixed-sized "slab" of samples, and since you're just recording them to disk, there's no reason to treat them in a vector format inside the flow-graph. Certain transforms, like the FFT, require their inputs to be fixed-sized "vectors", but a simple stream-record-to-disk has no such requirement.

You haven't discussed your hardware setup in detail. What daughtercards? What frequency are you tuning to? Have you set the RF gain controls appropriately?

The I/Q data are voltage-samples of a quasi-sinusoidal phenomenon--why would you *not* expect such a phenomenon to regularly and
  frequently pass-through the zero point?

If you're programming in raw Python, can I suggest you look into Gnu Radio companion? It makes things easier in many ways.

Also, if you want to "sample for a little while then stop", you can create a separate thread that simply goes to sleep for awhile, and when it wakes up, it calls tb.stop(), where "tb" is whatever you've named your top flow-graph block.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator