Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD

From: LRK
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:49:24 -0600

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 05:29:15PM -0500, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 05:24 PM, Josh Blum wrote:
> >
> >After the firmware is loaded, the usrp1 re-enumerates, and disappears
> >from the system for some time. Perhaps that time is longer on your system?
> >
> >This patch adds a hilariously long timeout. Let me know if that makes it
> >always work after firmware load: http://pastebin.com/0uUpV2mn
> >
> 10 seconds?  I'm rolling in the aisles :-)
>
> But seriously, it's conceivable that on FreeBSD, the underlying drivers
> are doing *something* to make that re-enumeration cause a
>   "blackout" for longer than libusb-1.0/UHD is "used to".
>
> We have only a handful of users on *BSD, and it seems that with the
> change from libusb-0.1 in "classic" to libusb-1.0 in UHD, it's easily
>   possible that this class of problem could live for a very long time
> before anyone really noticed.

I'm sure I saw this while trying to do some studies using Ubuntu. Since
most users do not move the USRP between machines or power them down
often, it would not be noticed. Never happens under GR 3.2.2 on the
other machine.

I still do not understand the logic. If uhd_find_devices is there to
find devices, it seems that it should identify any device it understands
and tell the user it's status. Instead, if it finds a USRP1, it looks for
the firmware and errors off if it is not found. The USRP1 may be loaded
with the older stuff but the message says No device found. What is
uhd_find_devices for?

The program that loads firmware should be able to determine if it needs
to be loaded, load it, and check to see if it is okay. Then the same
with the fpga load. Can that info be read from the USRP1?

--
    The computer is supposed to work for YOU, not the other way around.
LRK