Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Like writing DSP code? Hate editing makefiles?

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Like writing DSP code? Hate editing makefiles?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 13:19:19 +0100

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Iain Young, G7III <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>

> You Wrote:
>
>> Example: you want to create a new module called 'mydsp' and add two
>> blocks 'mydsp_algorithm1_ff' and 'mydsp_algorithm2_cc'. The first one is
>> a sync block, the second a hier block. Also, you'd like bindings for
>> GRC.  This is what it might look like:
>

> I must confess I am not a great DSP coder, but often find that blocks
> that are in gnuradio itself don't have GRC blocks defined.
>
> Could I use your tool to add them ? For example the jack audio blocks
> are there in gnuradio itself, but only the audio sink/source is in
> GRC, and that talks to ALSA.
>
> I could of course use the old "plugjack" trick, but why add the extra
> latency in going thru the ALSA subsystem first ? :)

Iain,

I think you misunderstand. The jack audio block is intended to be a
backend, as are all other audio subsystems. They are all accessed via
one unified API, which is already available as python and GRC block
(audio sink/source). The application doesn't know whether you are
using ALSA, JACK, portaudio, ....  You can choose which audio backend
to use in a configuration file, see etc/gnuradio/conf.d/gr-audio.conf

If you still want to crewate GRC blocks here is how to do it:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GNURadioCompanion#Adding-Custom-Blocks

Alex