Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Source block for the funcube pro plus

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Source block for the funcube pro plus
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 13:00:13 +0200

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Volker Schroer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> thank you for your hint. I added the device_name parameter .
> Now if the device name is not empty, I try to open the appropriate alsa
> device. If the device string is empty or opening device failed ( perhaps the
> device string was misspelled ) I try to autodetect the dongle.
>
> I personally prefer autodetection, as the order of my soundcards may change
> from boot to boot. So I attach a small patch for gr-fcd to enable
> autodetection, too.

Thanks for the patch. Unfortunately, it is not sufficient for gr-fcd
because it must also work on BSD, Windows and OS X. As such no ALSA or
linux specific code should be in the gr-fcd block itself.

In my opinion, updates should be made in gr-audio. We need a new API
call that returns a list of available audio devices with their
descriptive names. That way we can implement autodetection in a
platform independent way.

Alex