Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] about building gnuradio on mac os x lion behind a

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] about building gnuradio on mac os x lion behind a firewall
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 08:59:05 -0400

Hi swrangsar - I generally recommend doing:
{{{
sudo port install gnuradio +full
}}}
to get all of the goodies, including python swig interface files and all
possible components (wxgui, qtgui, etc). But, Qt takes a -long- time to build
if if a non-standard install -- the default install will be available as a
downloadable binary which is much faster.  Hence, there are variants for
different installs depending on what dependencies folks already have or are
willing to install.  Do:
{{{
port variants gnuradio
}}}
to see the list and make your selection.  What you wrote ("sudo port install
gnuradio +uhd") will install the basic GNU Radio libraries along with
binary/library support for UHD.  But, it will not install the components for
GUIs, SWIG bindings for the Python interface, nor GRC.  Of course, not everyone
wants all of the "bells and whistles" installed; so, maybe this would be all
you need.

As a side note, if you have Homebrew installed and want to move to MacPorts, I
think the major thing you need to is change your shell environment to -not-
access anything from Homebrew.  So, change PATH, PYTHONPATH, any DYLD*, and
anything else that refers to Homebrew's install location.  I've never used
Homebrew so I cannot comment on if there is anything else; but, generally, my
experience has been that if the shell does not know where to look, it won't
find anything.  You can always make a tarball of the Homebrew directory then
remove (sudo rm -rf) it.

Good luck! - MLD