Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Finding a particular version

From: Nikos Balkanas
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Finding a particular version
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 08:49:27 +0200

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:31 AM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/17/2014 06:17 PM, Nikos Balkanas wrote:

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Nikos Balkanas
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Sorry, I actually need 2.8. That's my problem. Repository has releases since
> 2006, so it should have 2.8 as well. It is paramount to get that version.
> Recent versions won't work with my other programs. :-(

Sorry, no. Absolutely no support for a version that old.

Tom

OK. How about you tell me how to find the gnuradio version number from the source tree, once I download it (without actually building it)? There must be a way.

I think Tom already told you how to do this, but this is what what "git tag".

Here's what it produces:

v3.3.0
v3.3.0-rc0
v3.3.0-rc1
v3.3.0-rc2
v3.3.0-rc3
v3.3.1
v3.3.1git
v3.4.0
v3.4.0git
v3.4.1
v3.4.1git
v3.4.2
v3.4.2git
v3.4git
v3.5.0
v3.5.0git
v3.5.0rc0
v3.5.1
v3.5.2
v3.5.2.1
v3.5.3
v3.5.3.1
v3.5.3.2
v3.5.3git
v3.6.0
v3.6.1
v3.6.2
v3.6.3
v3.6.3.1
v3.6.3rc0
v3.6.4
v3.6.4.1
v3.6.4.2
v3.6.4git
v3.6.5
v3.6.5.1
v3.7.0
v3.7.0.1
v3.7.0rc0
v3.7.1
v3.7.1.1
v3.7.2
v3.7.2.1

You'll notice that the repo starts at v3.3.0

At some point in Gnu Radio's past, we switched from subversion to git.  Not sure if the subversion archives are still around.

Gnu Radio 2.8 is so old that many of the folks currently supporting Gnu Radio weren't even around when it was released.  My suggestion would
  be to port whatever code you have to 3.6.5 or 3.7.2.

Sorry, can't do. As i mentioned before, it is not my code to port :-(. Subversion is still around and good. I have downloaded the first revision from 2006. However, I can't tell which version is and it has a bug, so it cannot build. Thanx for all your help, i still hope that someone will remember smt to help me find it. It is really unfortunate that you don't keep versions in your sources, like most opensource does. In the future a new versioning system will come out, and you will have the same exact problem with git. :-(

[...snipped...]

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator