Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No UHD blocks in GNURadio

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No UHD blocks in GNURadio
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:26:07 -0400

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Sara Chérif <address@hidden> wrote:
> I installed GNU on ubuntu 12.04 lts before installing UHD from
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/UbuntuInstall
> by running the following commands:
>
> sudo apt-get -y install git-core autoconf automake  libtool g++ python-dev
> swig \
> pkg-config libboost1.48-all-dev libfftw3-dev libcppunit-dev libgsl0-dev \
> libusb-dev sdcc libsdl1.2-dev python-wxgtk2.8 python-numpy \
> python-cheetah python-lxml doxygen python-qt4 python-qwt5-qt4 libxi-dev \
> libqt4-opengl-dev libqwt5-qt4-dev libfontconfig1-dev libxrender-dev
>
> git clone http://gnuradio.org/git/gnuradio.git
> cd gnuradio
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake ../
> make
>
> make test
> sudo make install
>

> But I didn't find UHD blocks when I open gnu by running "gnuradio-companion"
> in terminal.
> So I installed UHD from
> http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki/GNURadio_Linux from
> the unstable repositories.
>
> I wanted to check if the GNU & UHD are installed or not so I ran in terminal
> :
> address@hidden:~$ dpkg -l uhd
> |
> Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                           Version
> Description
> +++-==============================-==============================-============================================================================
> rc  uhd                            003.007.000-1-stable           Ettus
> Research - USRP Hardware Driver
>
> address@hidden:~$ dpkg -l  gnuradio
> No packages found matching gnuradio.

I think there are a few points of confusion here. First, you said that
you tried to build GNU Radio before installing UHD, but I'm guessing
that was a mistake since you show here that you've installed UHD. If
you build GNU Radio before installing UHD, you shouldn't expect it to
know about UHD.

(Also, it's "GNU Radio"  and not just "GNU" -- GNU refers to the
bigger GNU project at www.gnu.org.)

> Does this mean that UHD is installed but GNU isn't ?!! (THIS IS MY FIRST
> QUESTION)
> But I can run GNU from terminal , how it is written that No packages found!!

When installing a project by hand like this, you are not using the
Debian system, so there's no reason it will be found by dpkg.

> I decided to build again GNU after installing UHD so I ran "cmake../" and
> "make" commands .. But the output of "cmake ../ " shows that gr-uhd is a
> disabled component!! So I won't find UHD blocks in GNU again. What can I do
> ? (THIS IS MY SECOND QUESTION)
> Here is the output of cmake .. Hope that anyone can help me :) Thanks.

That output tells you that it didn't find the UHD library, which could
be for many reasons.

I would recommend trying PyBOMBS to install GNU Radio instead:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/InstallingGRFromSource

Tom