Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] About physcially acceptable, applicable signal in

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] About physcially acceptable, applicable signal input range for GNU Radio.
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:47:23 +0200

Hi Jeon,

short answer: Don't worry. Everything will be ok.
long answer:
I do have a bit of a tummy ache about this sentence.
I wonder that such input range (+- 50 mV) is quite acceptable for GNU Radio to manipulate.
There's two things that aren't so great about that sentence:
1. What you're visualizing is not +-50mV. It's the numbers that come out of your USRP sink, which happen to have a magnitude < ca 0.05. But that's not really a voltage; it's what the signal processing on the USRP makes of the the ADC measurement before it reaches your PC and gets converted to floating point numbers. Now, with your LFRX, which is basically a voltage follower, and your USRP, which most likely actually has a 2Vpp measurement range, that might even actually be quite close to the voltage in Volt, but it's not really necessarily so. The USRP is not a calibrated measurement device, and unless you calibrate yourself, the only thing you can say is "these samples' values are proportional to the voltage seen by the ADC" (hint: in your case, calibration is trivial. Take a small known voltage and apply it between inner and outer conductor, compare to your visualization, and do it again, in reverse polarity).
2. The assumption that GNU Radio deals with "mV". It doesn't. It really just sees sequences of numbers -- so, 0.05 in your case. It doesn't care (and it doesn't even have any mechanism to know) what these numbers represent.

So, GNU Radio internally works with floating point numbers, most of the time (the orange connections are simple 32 bit floats, the blue ones are complex numbers composed of 32 bit float real and 32 bit float imaginary part). These numbers are accurate down to about 10^-16 ; you're far away from that, so unless you do something mathematically extremely unstable, you should be just fine.

Best regards,
Marcus