Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Google Summer of Code 2016

From: Usman Haider
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Google Summer of Code 2016
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 23:32:45 +0500

Everyone,

I'm really happy to say that GNU Radio was accepted as a participating
organization for Google Summer of Code 2016! After not participating
last year, I'm very glad I can give this news, and it'll be the fourth
time that we participate in this program.
That's a very good news. I am following Gnuradio for long  time now. I think its time for me to contribute something to Gnuradio that community can use. And GSoC is a good chance for me to do that.
Note: We'll also apply for SOCIS again, but I haven't heard from them yet.

For anyone interested in participating, it's imperative that you read
all of our GSoC pages carefully, starting here:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GSoC

This includes our ideas list, which should be a starting point for
anyone planning to apply.

Also, have a look at the summer of code home page, and the timeline:

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/

Applications start on March 14th, but you should definitely get in touch
with the community before that if you're interested.
I went through these pages last year, and I am going through them again.
*What to do if you want to participate in GSoC '16:*

If you want to participate, you should first pick a project to work on.
The ideas list (see link above) is where to go first for this, although
you can bring your own ideas to the table as well (I still recommend
looking at the ideas page to get an idea for a good scope).

Next, get in touch with us via the mailing list. We're very happy about
people wanting to participate, so please don't be intimated by the
mailing list. Let us know what you want to do!

Sooner rather than later, you need to start working on your actual
application. You can do this before the application deadline: In the
past, students have often prepared their application on github, or
similar web services, andn then posted a link to that page on their
actual application on the GSoC application page. This allows to iterate
on the application faster, and make it easier for community member to
give input. It might seem scary to post something like this in the
public, but that's what you'll be doing with your work for the duration
of the summer if you get accepted.

A couple of hints:
- Really read the pages I linked to up top.
- In the past, we've always had many more applicants than slots. So
start working on your application early to give you a head start!
- Usually, many more people apply to do radio stuff than to work on
GUIs, whereas the latter is usually more useful to the bulk of our
users. Just saying :)
Thanks for giving hints and guidelines to prepare for GSoC. I am really excited about it and I'll apply soon. Currently doing my homework as suggested in pages referenced above.
OK, I'm hoping to see a lot of new people this round! If you have any
questions, please ask them in this thread.

Cheers,
Martin

Regards,
Usman