Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Updating variable by passing message

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Updating variable by passing message
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:35:39 +0200

Hi Mohammad,

this sounds like a wise architecture, using a message to update settings.

To answer your question:

> how i can update a variable block value in python code , is that
possible at all ?

As you noticed, yes, that's possible, because the GUI sliders etc. do that!
However, it only works because these are actually living directly in the
top_block python code.

What you **can** do is write a python block, which, as a parameter,
takes a reference to the top_block (or hier block) which it "lives" in,
and stores it in a class member.

Then you can call .set_variablename(value) on that in your message handler.

I do **not** recommend that, however. It breaks the inherent thread
safety of message passing, makes a large detour through python that will
cost a lot of copies and unnecessary type conversions "under the hood"...

Instead, better simply go and improve the FFT Filter! Add a message port
that accepts new taps! I think we'd all love to see that becoming a
feature, so if you can, please make that change and contribute it to GNU
Radio! Also, it's less work than writing the python block that I
mentioned above.

Best regards,
Marcus