Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio master and UHD RFNOC Version Issue

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio master and UHD RFNOC Version Issue
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 14:51:19 +0000

Hi John,

no need to apologize; we're all learners of some kind!
So, let me annotate your terminology below, so that we are on the same
page :)

On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 07:20 -0600, John Medrano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologize for my terminology, it is causing some confusion.
>
> If you download the source from https://github.com/EttusResearch/uhd. You can
> compile this version and it should work fine with latest version of GNU Radio

Nope – that's the wrong way around. UHD is a library used /by/ GNU
Radio, so after building UHD, you need to build GNU Radio, to use that
specific version of UHD.

> But this version is missing additional modules that are available in branch
> rfnoc-devel. I inspected /host/lib/rfnoc for both the master and rfnoc-devel
> branches; there are several modules from rfnoc-devel branch such as sig_gen
> that are not available in master branch. That is what I am referring to as
> RFNOC UHD. I would like to continue using rfnoc-devel branch, and hence the
> issue that I am having. Since the version we were instructed that works with
> that branch, no longer compiles in latest version of Fedora. That version
> being v3.7.10.2.

So, as Derek said, for RFNOC features, you might have to build your own
UHD (and consequently, your own GNU Radio afterwards) with specific
flags.

> When we build source, we typically install all dependencies and it the
> proceeds to build with no issue. But in this latest version of Fedora, we
> received compilation errors while trying to build v3.7.10.2.

To be 100 % certain I'm getting you correct here: when building UHD
3.7.10.2 on Fedora28, you're getting compile errors?

> Since latest version of GNU Radio built with no issue, I suspected that
> changes had been made to correct for newer version.

Again, building UHD (and installing it) has to happen before GNU Radio,
and build errors in one are unrelated to the other, unless the GNU
Radio compile error especially states that "hey, we've got some
function that we expect, but the UHD headers don't declare that".

> Where in the source code, do they check the version of UHD for compatibility?

Yes. GNU Radio checks, at runtime, whether the UHD library used when
building GNU Radio is the same as is being loaded at run time. Because:
these have to match.

The error you're experiencing, however, has nothing to do with that.
It's a **firmware** version mismatch.
GNU Radio doesn't know, care or directly interact with the firmware
running on your USRP at all.

That's UHD checking whether the USRP runs the right firmware.

This all has nothing to do with GNU Radio!

> This will help me to look back at and see which GNU Radio versions are
> compatible with the rfnoc-devel branch.

Please stop saying that.
GNU Radio has no relation to RFNoC.

Best regards,