Some thoughts about GS

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Some thoughts about GS
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:32:25 +0100

Hi,

these are just some thoughts of a tired developer, so please excuse me if this
is rubbish....;-)

I am active in the NeXT/GS world for years now. I love NEXTSTEP and I believe
that its technology and design is superior to anything else out there - but the
world does not stop moving and it seems to me that the GNUstep project is in
heavy danger. While the foundation is stable and the AppKit becomes more and
more usable every day, the idea of a GNUstep system/environment never really
became reality. I always hoped that GNUstep would one day become what NEXTSTEP
should have been and never was, a widely adopted, powerful 'desktop solution'
(I hate this term, but you know what I mean...) 'for everyone'. This implies
(for me) the existence of a good development environment, all kind of apps that
are required for daily work and amusement and the adoption of new, open
standards and technologies. In all those years, GNUstep never took off and
played this role - IMHO it never *could* play this role because of some
important points:

- it never became a product for the masses, as of today it isn't even included
in any Linux distro I know off.
- the goals were/are IMHO too high for the few of us working on GNUstep
- although superior, Objective-C never became very popular
- in the meantime other technologies became very popular *and* powerful, such
as GNOME and KDE
- Mac OS X (Rhapsody) did not boost the interest in the OpenStep technologies
up until now...

While all the developers working on GNUstep and related stuff are certainly
brilliant, they are just too few to compete against GNOME and KDE. I do not
know if you (the active members of the GS community) want to compete at all or
if you have completely different goals in mind (for GNUstep). I just fear that
GNUstep will become one of those projects that never really take off, and this
would be very sad - at least for me. Projects like DGS, Stepwire (the GNUstep X
window manager) etc. are nice from a theoretical point of view, but not
realistic for the few of us. So, what could solve this problem or what can we
do at all? IMHO there are 2 possibilities:

i)  We continue to work on GNUstep like we always did. One day we will perhaps
have a 100% working OpenStep/Cocoa API clone.
ii) We alter our plans and visions and try to integrate GNUstep into another
desktop (GNOME)

Like Apple already understood, nothing is more important than the support from
the developers and the existence of important applications. Thus they changed
their plans, dropped DPS and 'invented' Carbon and CoreFoundation to make it
possible to migrate from Mac OS to Mac OS X - you all know this of course.
For me it seems that GNUstep is in a similar situation as Apple was when
working on Rhapsody. They had a beautiful system but no support from the
(important) developers.

This said, wouldn't it be possible for GNUstep to enter i.e. the GNOME world,
share some/the foundations and integrate the GNUstep UI part into gtk (like the
Cocoa AppKit and CoreGraphics)? This way GNUstep could perhaps become the most
advanced API to develop GNOME applications (like Cocoa on MOSX). Nobody would
be forced to learn it, nobody would be scared by ObjC, but those who love it
would benefit from it while all would work on/for the same desktop. This would
also make it easier to adopt and profit from new technologies and inventions
(GNUstep already uses libxml for example, no?). Now I admit that I have no clue
what this would imply (technically), what would have to be changed in the GS
code base and so forth, but I think that such a move could only help the
GNUstep Environment project.

What do you think? Is this complete rubbish, should I get more sleep or ....?

...anyway, happy new Millenium!...;-)

cheers, Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert | http://www.nice.ch/~phip/