Re: Problem configuring gnustep-core

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: Problem configuring gnustep-core
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 13:06:27 -0500

At 12:47 PM 1/2/01, Adam Fedor wrote:
David Relson wrote:

> configure mentions option "--without-tiff_library", though it doesn't use
> it (as far as I can tell).  I tried it anyhow, but it didn't help.

It doesn't work that way. You have to specify a dir if libtiff is not in
the standard place (configure doesn't check $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT,
although perhaps it should?, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH is only for running
programs, not linking them)

Try (all on one line):

configure
--with-tiff-library=/usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/
--with-tiff-include=/usr/GNUstep/System/Headers

(or where-ever the lib/headers are for tiff).

Adam,

You've summarized in life in 5 little words - "It doesn't work that way." That's a situation I keep slamming into :-(

That did the trick.  In my mk-gstep script, I put the following lines:

    GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_LIBS="$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/"
    GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_HEADERS="$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Headers/"
tiff="--with-tiff-library=$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_LIBS --with-tiff-include=$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_HEADERS"
    ./configure $tiff

It may be verbose, but the individual lines aren't too long and using multiple lines lets me see what's going on.

By the way, where is the standard location for libtiff? Having built it with "./configure; make ; make install", I assumed it would be in the proper spot, but apparently not.

Cheers!

David

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson@osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800