RE: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: RE: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:21:32 +0100

All,

On Fri, 05 Jan 2001, ian.mondragon@bankofamerica.com wrote:
> phil -
>
> that's definitely a good idea...didn't even occur to me.  but the reason i
> was simply focusing on rewriting WM was to ensure that alot of the basic
> flags & such would remain the same, so that the end result would be a
> revamped windowmaker as opposed to *new* window manager.  agree?  disagree?

Well, I would like to see a slim, fast WM. I do not like WMs which have
hundreds of features etc. I also do not like WMs which incorporate docks etc.,
IMHO this is up to other apps.  Therefore you can guess that I have mixed
feelings for WindowMaker...;-)

Regarding the look, NEXTSTEP is certainly a way to go, but not the only one -
i.e. I like the blackbox look very much, it's simple, elegant and not heavy
bloated.

> what would the community as a whole like to see?  i would be more than happy
> to devote my time to such a project - and i would definitely dig having
> someone else to work on it with, phil :-)

hehe...;-)

cheers, Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert | http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~robert/

Research Group on Computational Geometry and Graphics
Institute of Computer Science and Appl. Mathematics (IAM), Office 208
Neubrueckstrasse 10, CH-3012 Bern Switzerland, phone: +41 31 6314902