Re: Flattened GNUstep structure?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Flattened GNUstep structure?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:25:56 -0700

Nicola Pero wrote:

Well remember, while I talked about rpms, I was really asking about a
policy for any type of distribution. The problem(/advantage) with rpms,
is that you can't configure them after they are made, so it forces you
into choosing a policy of how to configure your package. I could just
make the policy for rpms, but I wanted to be consistant for all dists.

> In particular:
>  * will it help in shipping a single rpm for multiple platforms;
>  * will it make easier to create different rpms for different platforms
>    on the same machine;
>  * will it help users in keeping more than one backend;
>  * will it make possible to create a single rpm for multiple backends;
>  * will it make easier to create different rpms for different backends;

I'd say no in pretty much all cases, unless you had different names for
different distributions (i.e. gnustep-base-main (backend/platform
independant files), gnustep-base-xgps (backend/platform dependant
files)). But that's a question independant of flat/deep structure.

For the flat/deep question, I think I'll stick with a deep structure and
perhaps provide a post-install script which could convert it to flat.