Re: AppIcon Issue...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: AppIcon Issue...
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:59:09 +0000

On Sunday, January 28, 2001, at 05:36 PM, Sungjin Chun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I finally succeeded in making appicon WindowMaker
> compatible(?). That is, WindowMaker can arrange it and
> deal it like other appicon it creates. The border disappears
> because WindowMaker thinks it as normal appicon.
>
> But...
> There're problems.
> 1. I cannot move it, actually when I try to move it
> the image( tile + icon image ) disappears( I think
> the icon window disappears) and normal WindowMaker's
> appicon remains.
> 2. When I click right mouse button it does nothing instead
> of displaying menu( application menu, not WindowMaker's
> appicon menu :-).
>
> I need help. This is my first time X Window programming
> and it's very hard to me :-)
>
> Thanks in advance. I can send patch if you have interest
> on my work.

Back when I was trying to use Window Makers icons, I got to the
same stage as you ... just before I gave up.

Window Maker re-parents the icon window you give it - so when you move the
icon window, it moves within the parent Window Maker has given it (which
makes it disappear) - because (for some reason) Window Maker does not
intercept the events and move the parent.
Similarly, Window Maker doesn't pass the events for that window to the app,
so the app can't detect the right mouse click.

I don't know how to ask Window Maker to give control of the icon to the app,
or even if there is any way to do this.  My suspicion is that a substantial
amount of work needs to be done in Window maker itsself ... but it may
actually all be hidden in there somewhere.