Re: GWorkspace 0.1.5.1

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: GWorkspace 0.1.5.1
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:33:33 +0100

Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote (Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:09:12 +0200 (EET)):

> > great! What about providing a script which can be used to start a
> > GNUstep Environment which automatically launches GWorkspace.app when
> > starting X similar to startkde or the gnome equivalent?
>
> I think that this can be done simply by the "WindowMaker session restoring
> mechanism", that is, all you leave open when restart or exit Window Maker,
> will be open the next time.

I know, but it is not what I really mean. I don't like the idea that WM (or any
other window manager) is controlling the GNUstep environment. Also there are
other WMs out there which perhaps do not have nice session management and
someday we can perhaps use GS on non-X platforms as well. I believe that a
handy tool or script, which launches the GNUstep environment (GWorkspace being
a central part of it) as well as X et al. would make things a lot easier, esp.
for such persons who would like to 'just test GNUstep' - I made the experience
that most of them expected GNUstep to be sth like 'an entire GNU-NEXTSTEP' and
not just an API plus a set of tools/scripts. And it would indeed be nice if one
could type .i.e. './initgnustep' and everything would magically appear, no...;-)

cheers, Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert | http://www.nice.ch/~phip/