Re: Problem building from scratch... (SSL.bundle modification)

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: Problem building from scratch... (SSL.bundle modification)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:01:08 -0800

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:14:24 +0000 (GMT)
Nicola Pero <n.pero@mi.flashnet.it> wrote:
> > Ugh, I just realized - on my system, ./Resources is already linked
> > to ../Resources. So 'rm -rf' would be a BAD idea ...
> Argh - pretty difficult to make it work on all systems then !

That's the beauty of it ;-)

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand is that on Erik's
> system, --exclude is ignored but h works (because Resources is
> created, and it's a directory), while on your system, --exclude is
> ignored and h doesn't work either (because Resources is created, and
> it's a symbolic link).  On my system instead both --exclude and h
> work.

I don't know about Eric's, but when I check(ed) the source directory,
the SSL.bundle directory (on my system) already had a directory called
Resources and a symlink to that, called Contents/Resources (well,
that's from memory, I've already tar'd the CVS) after running make(1).
tar(1) actually has -h (or --dereference) but, yes, it looks like it's
being ignored.

'make install' was only complaining that /dev/sa0 didn't exist to
tar(1) everything (instead of using --to-stdout). The 'tar -chf - ...'
fixed that problem - but I'll check as soon as I get back home.

> This shouldn't make any difference, just take more disk space,
> because he's got the same resource files installed twice instead of
> having a more efficient link, but still work correctly.

About disk space, maybe there should be an option to strip(1)
libraries and binaries automagically during installation. I know,
some prefer to keep symbols for debugging, but it would be nice to
add something like --enable-strip to ./configure, to reduce disk
space, instead of doing that manually afterwards {and never run strip
on libgnustep-gui.so while GWorkspace is running ... :-}

Just an idea,

--
Chris