My observations

From: Tristan Alexander McLeay
Subject: My observations
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:27:46 +1000

Okay, I realise some of these observations will be known and some won't be, that some are bugs and some are probably features, but I'll tell them all anyway.

I've been using GNUMail as my email client for a bit, but most of these observations are of the text control thing. I'm using the CVS image version of everything from 2.02.02.

When you scroll beyond the end of the text, the last line is stretched and is ugly.

There's a comparitively awful lot of ways to get to the start and end of text (one of which---clicking on the top/bottom of the scrollbar---is a reason I use GNUmail), but none to get to the end of text and a highly unintuitve and irritating way to get to the start of text. As far as I can tell, pressing Home and End, which normally go to the start and end of a line, go to the start and end of a document. Is there some way to modify this behaviour so it's more standard?

Cut and paste doesn't seem to work. The menu items are disabled and it doesn't respond in the traditional X way (select to copy, middle click to paste).

Also, is there any possibility of being able to select with the text? My understanding of the way OPENSTEP was meant to be was for it to let people do things mostly with the keyboard when they're already using the keyboard, so this should be there, too.

Sometimes in the last line of text, pressing enter appears to do nothing but when you start typing the extra space is put there. This is rather annoying for me because my enter key isn't too crash hot so I need the visual response to know if it's been pressed or not.

I think that's the biggest problems I have so if anyone wants to shoot me for saying something blasphemous, do so now ;)

I've only got mediocre programming skills so I can't fix these problems myself, I'm sorry to say.

TIA

Tristan