RE: Experience of porting a WO 4.01 NT cmd-line program to gstep, aga i

From: Mike Llewellyn
Subject: RE: Experience of porting a WO 4.01 NT cmd-line program to gstep, aga in on Win NT?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:42:24 +0100

Many thanks for the pointers.

On another issue, would be v. interested in your view;

My situation is this;
We are selling a system that includes custom hardware and supporting software. Part of the software is written in ObjC (WO 4.01, NT), and at the moment we are obliged to buy a full WO Developer license from Apple each time we sell to a customer.

As you can imagine this is less than ideal.

I have a limited block of time to rewrite the software such that we do not have to pay any license fee. I have a number of options, including MS C++, some kind of Java, perhaps MS .NET, and of course one of libFoundation, gstep-base, or even the Darwin Foundation-type libraries.

My natural preference would be an Objective-C based solution, since that is my main programming background and because it still seems to be a superior language. It should, in theory, also be the simplest and most rapid solution.

However, reading through the GPL I'm not convinced that it does suit my situation to use gstep, since I am not in a position to be able to publish source code to the software, as it appears the license will require me to do.

Also, MS C++ has most of the other libraries I will need (property lists, ODBC), and I will be able to distribute freely once I have written the program. Java whilst more preferable as a language doesn't seem to have a propertylist library, adding an extra piece of work.

The choice I have then seems to be limited to an attempt to port using the apparently completely free libFoundation, or rewriting from scratch using C++.

Since libFoundation probably still has bugs for Windows, and probably isn't going to be updated, and I would need to distribute at least parts of Cygwin (or an equivalent) with it, it is looking as though MS VC++ is the best choice.

Thanks for your time,
---
Mike Llewellyn, Nexan Ltd, (+44) (0)1223 713 517