Re: some consideration on NSWorkspace

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: some consideration on NSWorkspace
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:30:53 +0100

On Thursday, June 20, 2002, at 03:14 PM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 03:07 PM, Enrico Sersale wrote:

The recent changes in NSWorkspace don't let anymore GWorkspace to
launch applications with double-click on an icon, a fiend tile or a
browser cell that represents an application.

Sorry ... I failed to notice the bug.
I have reverted the patch.

I have fixed the bug, and upon careful study of all of the relevant docs,
have produced a new patch based on the documented behavior.

According to the documentation (OpenStep spec, OPENSTEP 4.2 docs, Cocoa
docs):

-fullPathToApplication: should not allow full paths.

I can't find that stated, or clearly implied, anywhere within the documentation.

It must return nil if
the specified application name is not found in one of the standard
application paths.

Yes, the documentation states this ... but it's not the implemented behavior. MacOS-X returns any absolute path unmodified rather than returning nil as the
documentation says.

It is intended for finding an app when you only know
its name.

Strongly implied by the documentation, but as the MacOS-X implementation
differs, I don't think we can make such an assumption about the intention.

I've applied the patch but rewritten to implement the behavior of
MacOS-X.
Specifically -
1. an absolute path is returned unchanged.
  I've implemented this.
2. a relative path seems to do something strange.
  I've tried to return an absolute version of a relative path where it
matches a path in one of the standard app directories, and return nil otherwise.

I'd appreciate someone testing this ASAP, as I have little in the way of test applications, and I'm currently unwell, so I don't have as much confidence
as usual in my code being correct :-(